Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thursday IHT Loop

Volleyball during my lunch break then the rare evening run after driving home. No bike today.

6:30pm. IHT 5 mile loop over Old Ranch Road(@#$^%)... I went out with a hot sub-7 but it didn't last.
Excuses follow:
1. my quads seemed sluggish from riding the bike all week. Usually the real soreness set in on day-2 so even though I skipped the ride today, my quads were still in recovery.
2. remembered that evening runs kinda suck as the days has taken it's toll and I made the poor decision to add curly fries to my lunch order.
3. the wind was BRUTAL! damn you headwind.
Waaahh! okay, done whining.

I made good time but knew the hill was going to kick my ass based on my already high heart-rate. To keep going I told myself I could only stop at one of the mile splits but those came at times when it was unlikely I'd actually stop. Mile 2 is before turning onto Alcosta and Mile 3 is just before the top of Old Ranch. Although I didn't stop, (in my mind) I was practically running in place up the hill. I use to be the King of the Hills when I ran with my running team but now I was the lone Huff&Puffer. As always, I focused on the bike tracks that somehow became permanently imprinted into the sidewalk. It keeps my eyes down, watch my turn-over, and regulate my heavy breathing. Once the tracks disappear it's only a few more steps to the summit as the incline slowly decreases to a flat plateau. I stretch out my now burnt quads on the backside decline.

The trip south on Dougherty was pretty routine. The call of home, protection from the wind, and a minor decline as I wind along the sidewalk while cars pass at freeway speeds. :-)

I stretched my calves for all of 5 minutes then went in the house and jumped in the ice bath. My left shin was buggin' so I wanted to take care of it right away. Drank a big glass of chocolate milk (yum!) and followed it with a lot of water. Typed this up and more ice on my shins before chillin' and going to sleep.

Tuned up my bike and riding it into work tomorrow.

Business: Volleyball. Outdoor Run. 5.1 miles in 36:53 @ an average 7:14 min/mile pace.
Splits are as follows:
Mile  1: 6:57.63 (0:06:52.67), 113bpm
Mile  2: 6:56.34 (0:13:53.97), 179bpm
Mile  3: 7:31.50 (0:21:25.47), 177bpm
Mile  4: 7:51.95 (0:29:17.42), 178bpm
Mile  5: 7:18.40 (0:36:35.82), 181bpm
Mile 5.1: 0:36:53.66

2min Recovery: 184bpm -> 147bpm
AvgHR:  166
PeakHR: 187
MinHR:   72
TotCal: 661

Gut-check
Breakfast: 3 6oz. Yoplait yogurts, peanut butter sandwich.
Lunch: The Usual: Chicken sandwich w/ tomato&cheese, fries, Odwalla chocolate protein shake, water, water, water.
Dinner: Nonfat chocolate milk, cereal, water.

Run. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

=RUMBLE

No comments: