Thursday, February 9, 2012

Kaiser Half Marathon

It is Thursday.
4 days after the Half Marathon.
My body has finally stopped aching.
I can walk without looking injured.
I can run... and I did yesterday (6:32).

When I first targeted the Kaiser Half Marathon in December, I was disappointed I wasn't running CIM again (how long has it been??) but also realistic that I just don't have time to train for a full marathon.

So, I forced myself out to train distance on those cold morning and boring treadmill afternoons. I didn't go far on those runs, 4-6 miles.. I got some good long runs in the week(s) prior to the race but nothing greater than 10 miles. As evidence in my performance at the half, it wasn't enough.

Kaiser Half Marathon


SplitTimeDistanceAvg Pace
17:37.91.007:38
27:18.41.007:18
37:23.81.007:24
47:09.41.007:09
57:23.81.007:22
66:42.61.006:43
77:02.51.007:03
88:03.01.008:03
98:05.21.008:05
108:07.51.008:08
118:00.41.008:00
128:00.11.008:00
138:00.61.008:01
141:31.101:31
Summary1:40:26.213.107:40

Race Summary:
I had gotten a late start because I left the house "a little late" but luckily my father-in-law, Ken, drove and I was able to hop out of his car to quickly pickup my bib. That said, I was well in "the herd" of runners and nowhere near the front. I went out feeling good but held back (or was held back by the crownd) to conserve my energy. I wanted to ease into the race and have something left for the out&back 6 miles along Great Highway so I just rode the sea of people. We started on JFK mostly flat. At mile 1 we were out of the Golden Gate park and I was very comfortable.. too comfortable, so I sped up a little and made my way outside the crowd. Fell had a slight decline so obviously I got a slight incline on the way back toward the park along Oak. Just beyond mile 3 I took water and looked around the park at the rose garden Science Academy building, just kind of day dreaming through mile 4 as we made our way back to the start line. Mile 5 I took more water, found Ken cheering me on, yelled to him I anticpated 7:30min/mile splits and sprinted ahead toward familiar territory. It was like I unwittingly fooled myself I was doing the tail-end of Bay to Breakers. As we glided down toward Ocean Beach, I found myself speeding up and feeling a nice runner's high. In retrospect, I should've held my pace. Mile 7 was exactly on the turn from JFK to Great Highway. I looked out along that stretch of road and faced reality. 6 more miles to go and it wouldn't be nearly as fun as rolling toward the beach. I pulled 8min/miles but didn't feel very good. My heart-rate wasn't max'd out but I just felt tired. I attribute this directly to my lack of long distance training. Endurance wasn't there yet beyond as 12K so I'd have to suffer a bit. I continued to slow as I made my way to the turn-around point. It seemed forever but once I got there, I finally took more water and set my sights on the remaining 5K distance. My brain and body agreed to maintain 8min/miles all along Great Highway and then "anything goes" once I got to that last uphill quarter-mile on JFK to the finish line. I was so focused on moving my legs that I didn't even see or hear Ken at Mile 12. As I turned back onto JFK, I picked someone that seemed just as determined and stuck with them to the finish. I was really exhausted (easily seen in my finish photo) but I'm glad I did it to set the tone for 2012. Namely, more half marathons, fewer 5Ks. Oh, and what's next? Dublin 5K :) OK, but that will be followed by a 10K and another half in a couple months. Special thanks to Ken for haulin' my tired legs back home in time for SuperBowl kick-off.

Running Summary:

Activity NameStartTimeDistanceAvg Speed(Avg Pace)Max Speed(Best Pace)Avg HRMax HRCalories
Kaiser Half MarathonSun, Feb 5, 2012 8:07 AM1:40:2613.17:406:121732041,588
Treadmill 1M barefootTue, Feb 7, 2012 2:25 PM11:52111:46--:--------
Treadmill 1M barefootWed, Feb 8, 2012 4:13 PM9:1219:14--------
Treadmill 1M barefootWed, Feb 8, 2012 4:26 PM6:3216:31--------

Run.Eat.Sleep.Repeat.
=RUMBLE

No comments: