Wednesday, October 24, 2012

2012 Grape Stomp 10K

I was recovering from the Primo's Half Marathon so I didn't do much on the treadmill this week. 5K Tuesday and 5 mile Thursday gave me some confidence that I had some power back in my legs to run fast for an OK finish at the 10K race. Grape Stomp 10K results are a bit lopsided. I went out really fast and dragged my ass for a couple positive splits when my body refused that pace. Overall, good effort but no personal record.

Grape Stomp 10K Results Overall

Place Name City Bib No Age Gender Age Group Chip Time Gun Time Chip Diff Pace
59 Christopher Rumble Dublin CA 973 38 M 3/76 30-39 42:42.4 42:48.4 0:06 6:50/M


Here are my splits as recorded by my FR60:
Split Time Distance (in miles) Avg Pace Elapsed Time
1 06:19.9 1 6:18 06:19.9
2 06:30.2 1 6:30 12:50.1
3 06:34.7 1 6:36 19:24.8
4 06:56.5 1 6:56 26:21.3
5 07:27.3 1 7:28 33:48.6
6 07:15.9 1 7:16 41:04.5
7 01:37.6 .21 6:50 42:42.1
Summary 6.21 6:50 42:42.1


Race day morning 6am. 10K scheduled start is 8:10. I lay in bed for another 15 minutes before deciding to grab my bag and head out the door. Wearing pajamas, jacket, and running shoes. I "used the force" and my vague memory to find Robertson Park. Of course as I got closer it got easier. Parked not far from the start at 7:20. Played my music as I dug into my gym bag for shirt, shorts, shades, bib, iPod, and timing chip. I sent John a text around 7:45. He was leaving the house.
I headed over to the start. Walked around, noticed a huge line for Half Marathon registration although the website said there would be no race day registration. I saw John walking up and we just killed time as we came to realize this race was NOT going to start on time. It was cold on the grass field so we went back to my car for 10 minutes to keep warm.
When we returned, they were lining up the half marathon runners at the start. There was mention of a countdown but no horn. Finally the timing guy told the frontrunners "go".
After those runners cleared the start, it was the 10K runners' turn. I wished John good luck, he told me I'd do well and made my way to the front. At the anti-climactic start, I sprinted out the gate with few runners around me. I decided to chase a guy in front of me but not for long. He was definitely faster than me and I had to have "some" control.
My splits show I didn't control much. I had a very fast 5K out and at the turnaround I knew I was doomed to give some time back. I dragged my ass for about 1.5 miles before pushing hard to the finish. I came in at 42:42 and was winded.
I grabbed a drink, a few bananas and oranges, and then headed back to see John run in. We talked a bit and then went over to where they were posting results. No listing for me? Oh wait, here it is with a "DNF"?! WTF? I went to the guys at the finish and asked who I need to talk to about my time. They pointed me to the timing trailer.
To make a long story short, I spent an HOUR at the timing trailer to explain the situation (42:42 finish, about 5th or 6th guy to cross)... Finally they determined I was #973 running with #773's timing chip! They fixed my time (kinda) and now I could wait to receive my age group award.
They announced me as #1 in my age group and I thought "Cool, my luck that those other guys in front of me must've been older/younger!" I started to leave because no way did I place overall top3. Quite a surprise as I walked across the grass to hear my name as #1 overall in the 10K. WTF?
As I approached the stage, of course the real winner had to ask me "Did you pass me??" and I said "Absolutely not, I was like 5th or 6th!" The announcer determined she was given bad information but let me AND the real winner keep our bottles of wine. What I found out later was they changed my time to a 32:42 finish! That would mean I was running 5:30min/mile splits! yeah riiiight... I since corrected Finish Line Productions.

3rd in my age group (30-39) and 7th overall.
Ramon Valdez 36:05.9 (M30-39)
Jonathan Kawaja 37:13.1 (M40-49)
Tzanio Kolev 41:38.2 (M30-39)
Andris Dimits 41:39.2 (M50-59)
Leslie Haverstock 42:29.4 (F30-39)
Marc Martin 42:41.0 (M40-49)
Christopher Rumble 42:42.4 (M30-39)

Grape Stomp 10K Overall Results
Grape Stomp 10K Age Results

My training runs last week.
Activity Name Start Time Distance Avg Speed(Avg Pace Max Speed(Best Pace) Avg HR Max HR Calories
20121016 Treadmill 5K Saucony Tue, Oct 16, 2012 11:59 AM 20:13 3.13 6:28 6:01 165 195 386
20121018 Treadmill 5M Saucony Tue, Oct 18, 2012 12:37 PM 34:01 5.04 6:45 6:21 168 200 632
20121021 Grape Stomp 10K Sun, Oct 21, 2012 8:40 AM 42:42 6.24 6:50 4:30 183 225 778


Run.Eat.Sleep.Repeat.
=RUMBLE

No comments: