Monday, October 15, 2012

2012 Primos Half Marathon

The weekend running results are in and I'm happy with my effort and beating my SF Half Marathon 1:40 finish in February.

Primo's Half Marathon Results Overall

PlaceNameCityBib NoAgeGenderAge GroupChip TimeGun TimeChip DiffPace
59Christopher RumbleDublin CA927038M15/76 30-391:37:261:37:390:127:26/M

Here are my splits as recorded by my FR60:
SplitTimeDistance (in miles)Avg PaceElapsed Time
107:05.717:0307:05.7
207:13.917:1414:19.6
307:22.817:2221:42.4
407:05.417:0528:47.8
507:09.417:1035:57.2
607:27.817:2843:25.0
707:42.717:4351:07.7
807:16.917:1658:24.6
907:55.217:551:06:19.8
1007:45.117:451:14:04.9
1107:46.617:471:21:51.5
1207:39.217:401:29:30.7
1307:14.417:151:36:45.1
1400:41.50.16:501:37:26.6
Summary13.17:261:37:26.6


I woke up around 6am and went through my pre-race routine. My father-in-law drove me to Daville and we arrived around 6:45am. We found parking on Front St. and Hartz but I was in no rush to get into the crowds. I had everything I needed and didn't plan to line up on the start line. This wasn't going to be one of my fast 5K performances. I sat in the car and checked my gear. When I was sure I had everything, I hopped out around 7am. I had a plastic trash bag pulled over me to keep from getting cold as I jogged up and down Hartz.
The race started at 7:15 and it seemed few people were there early or maybe they were out on their own warm-up run before the race. 7:10, Star Spangled Banner is sung by some teenage girls. I checked my watch, 7:14am. The announcer was getting more excited. I ditched my bag into the trash and ran into the mass of people crowding the start. A couple hundred more people it seemed. Some were runners, some (in pajama bottoms) were clearly not. Bang! start gun and we're off! Walk into a trot, into a jog, into a run. Moved to the right-side of Diablo Road, waving to Ken, him wishing me "Good Luck!", me responding hopefully "See you at the finish!" and then the long haul...
First couple miles were easy and familiar as we went from Laurel to a trail that connected to Freitas. Made the turn onto Morninghome Rd and knew the hills would be coming soon. I didn't do any hill training, hill repeats or anything to condition my quads so I was nervous but I pushed over each hill without adding much time to my pace.
Once I reached Osage Park at Mile 6, I could feel my quads begin to ache a bit. My stride was sluggish and I focused on making the 10 mile marker because then I'd "only have a 5K" to the finish.
I once had my sense of direction in the park but that quickly faded as we went from neighborhood street to street. I wasn't really paying much attention to the street names but realized I was crossing El Capitan a second time and in my brain that meant just north of Costco and Crow Canyon so we should be heading onto Iron Horse Trail(IHT) soon.
A mile later, I took a blind turn off a residential street onto a footpath that dumped me onto IHT heading south. For a brief moment I was happy and then looked up at the long path ahead of me and got discouraged. Here comes the 9mile marker and I'm not feeling it. Tired and lost my mojo. After crossing El Capitan a third time, I jog to the water station and pull to the side. I drank two cups of water, caught my breath, took 10 steps and started running again. Nice and easy 7:40-ish for the next 4 miles with a focus on not stopping again until I crossed the finish line.
The little "break" helped give me fuel for the last 2 miles of the race as I got progressively faster. We joined the 5K runners as IHT turned on to Norris Canyon just before Mile 11. Having our own running lane and whizzing by all those people jogging/walking gave me a great mental boost. It was the illusion of speeding past all these people (mostly parents and little kids) after running 11 miles and that crowd sensation usually reserved for the last 100 meters of a race.
Mile 11.5 I was thinking "so close but so FAR!" and searching for that Mile 12 marker so I could focus on the idea of 1 stinkin' MILE. Once I got that I knew I could throw whatever energy was left into a final push to the finish. I also knew that Bollinger Canyon and Alcosta would have a slight climb which would suck. I focused on this bearded skinny guy who had passed me at the Executive Parkway turnabout and chased him down... very slowly. As I got close I lost confidence in my plan thinking that a surge might make the wheels come off but then on the turn to Bollinger Canyon I took the inside and the decision was made for me.
I pushed hard focusing on the street light, stopped traffic, people going about their Sunday morning routine, getting donuts, Starbucks... oh man, I need to EAT!!! I was suddenly consumed with the idea of eating absolutely anything. I knew they'd have bananas, oranges, I could definitely use something to drink. I had given Ken a set of dry clothes and a jacket and as I was just dripping with sweat, that anticipation of comfort also pulled me to the finish. It was also at this time my shoes started to really heat up in the toe-box. I must've been scuffing my feet on the drop and my toes were starting to get really irritated.
I rounded the corner of Alcosta but didn't see the finish line as I'd hoped. I squinted, put my shades on top of my head, looked again and imagined it in my brain as being that place where the crowd thickened to just a mass of bodies. Close enough and just keep running. Finally saw the orange cones corralling use to the finish, the clock above, stepped on the timing mats and DONE!
Really exhausted, a bit out of it, kind of zombie steps toward the people handing out water bottles. Heard Ken call out from the parking lot area behind me. Shuffled over there and found a place to sit down. I know sitting down isn't part of post-race protocol but I need another break. Peeled off my wet tank-top, HR monitor. Put on my dry long-sleeved Primo's shirt and wind-breaker. Got up off the concrete with some effort leaving my artistic butt impression "behind" and changed into some dry shorts in the portable bathroom.
Made a quick tour of the vendors booths for food and a few treats for my kids. Ran into a couple of friends and acquaintences. Walked back to the car and headed home.
The End

My training runs last week.
Activity NameStartTimeDistanceAvg Speed(Avg Pace)Max Speed(Best Pace)Avg HRMax HRCalories
20121008 Treadmill 4M SauconyMon, Oct 8, 2012 12:17 PM27:36:0046:545:22173198498
20121009 Treadmill 5K SauconyTue, Oct 9, 2012 11:58 AM20:233.146:305:53173197388
20121011 Treadmill 10K SauconyThu, Oct 11, 2012 12:23 PM45:58:006.237:237:00163198786
Primos Half MarathonSun, Oct 14, 2012 7:14 AM1:37:2613.17:266:121751981,636

Run.Eat.Sleep.Repeat.
=RUMBLE

No comments: