Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Heat is ON

Today was Bike to Work Day. It's also the hottest day in our current heatwave.

I drove Matthew to school and then went home to change clothes and grab my bike. The plan was to meet my coworkers at Bollinger & Iron Horse Trail at 8:20 but seeing as it was now 8:10 and I had to huff my way over Old Ranch Road, I made a quick call to Susan. I got her voicemail so I knew I'd just have to suck it up and pedal harder so I'm not "that" late.

I arrived at the Bollinger Energize station 5 miles away in 21 minutes (4:21min/mile). Not bad considering the Old Ranch hill, the heat, terrible headwind, my heavy mountain bike, and a laptop in my backpack. Susan had also arrived late but Joseph, Steve, Carlton, and Alma were on-time and enjoying the goodies. I loaded up on water, more water, an orange, some of those pastries, bagels, a free backpack, and a free shirt for Matthew.

As a group of 6 we rode the 6 miles down Iron Horse Trail to work at a moderate speed. If we'd picked up another 6 in there we'd be some sort of demonic riding gang.

As I sat in my office all sweaty and planning to get to the gym to shower sometime in the near future, I remembered that I had Bay to Breakers this weekend and I hadn't run at all this week. Maybe I'd run a mile or 2 over my lunch hour.

At noon, I finally went to the gym and got my running gear on. Way too hot to run outside so I got on the treadmill. I started running slowly (10min/mile) and was totally uninspired. Screw it. I went for a piss and came back a little more serious.

I ran a 5K in 20:20. I was really not going to run 3 miles today but like the Old Ranch hill this morning, I kept pushing on. I ate lunch and rode another 3 miles home.

Business: Bike 14 miles. Run 3.1 miles at an avg. 6:34min/mile.
Splits are as follows:
Mile 1: 7:08 (0:07:08)
Mile 2: 6:18 (0:13:26)
Mile 3: 6:18 (0:19:44)
Mile 3.1: 0:36 (0:20:20)

Gut-check
Breakfast: 2 pastries, coffee, an orange, water.
Lunch: 2 hard boiled egg whites, chicken parmesan, no-caffeine soda, granola bar, water.
Dinner: Macaroni & cheese, a hot dog, 6 oz. yogurt, cup of cereal, water.

Ride, Run, & Repeat.

=RUMBLE

No comments: