Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Old Ranch Calf Killer

I didn't have a clue where I was going to run today but initial thought was to head toward home in case my legs fell apart.

My calves were still sore from the hilly 8 mile last Friday. It's that or there's something wrong with my Brooks that's straining my calves. Either way, I walked outside the gym and tried to get a satellite connection with the Garmin... waiting... waiting... waiting... ugh! I decided to start running. The signal didn't pick up until a quarter mile into the run.

I could feel my body complaining almost immediately as I passed under BART. The calves were the loudest but I just didnt feel I had much energy. I've been eating well but I think my sleep has been interrupted by my daughter's cold/cough and that may be robbing my energy.

As I approached the split, I decided I'd do the 8 mile versus the 5 mile route. I told myself if I got real back I'd have the option of cutting out the hill or even stopping at the house and asking my wife nicely for a ride back to work. :-)

I headed up Iron Horse Trail then cut over to Old Ranch Road. The hill was brutal. Talk about feeling OUT OF SHAPE! My heart rate was pegged at first as I tried to maintain my speed but finally I decided to back off and run at more than a 9:30 pace. The back side of the hill was only slightly more enjoyable. I had to focus on my knees and maintain control. As I turned onto Dougherty, I got the feeling that I could make it back without stopping home. My muscles ached but my body wasn't injured.

Physically or more mentally it helped that the road continued a slight decline as I picked up my pace just a bit. I again broke the remaining miles into manageable sections that seemed more within reach.

I ran under BART and sped up a bit as I approached the gym. I stopped my Garmin, Timex and set my recovery timer. I immediately got something to drink and stretched for 30 minutes. I had nothing left so I hit the showers.

I grabbed lunch afterward and was SO hungry I may have eaten too much.

Business: Outdoor run. 8.25 miles @ avg. 7:40 min/mile pace.
Splits are as follows:
Mile  1: 7:16.00 (0:07:25.00), 165bpm
Mile  2: 7:55.00 (0:15:11.00), 176bpm
Mile  3: 7:42.00 (0:22:53.00), 180bpm
Mile  4: 8:42.00 (0:31:35.00), 175bpm
Mile  5: 7:39.00 (0:39:14.00), 180bpm
Mile  6: 7:36.00 (0:46:50.00), 183bpm
Mile  7: 7:34.00 (0:54:24.00), 188bpm
Mile  8: 7:20.00 (1:00:44.00), 189bpm
Mile  8.25: 1:45.00 (1:03:25.00), 189bpm

2min Recovery: 190bpm -> 141bpm
AvgHR:  178
PeakHR: 194
MinHR:   121
TotCal: 1230



Gut-check
Breakfast: 3 6 oz. Yoplait yogurt, water.
Lunch: Chicken sandwich w/ cheese, pretzels, garbanzo beans, pinto beans, half pint chocolate milk, water.
Dinner: , water.

Run. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

=RUMBLE

158 lbs.

No comments: