Sunday, May 3, 2009

Workday Devil Mountain 10K

Woke up at 5:45am.

Matthew's still got a fever and I saw him climbing down from the top bunkbed. He wanted to sleep next to me. I decided it'd be better for both of us to sleep in his bed since I'd be getting ready for the race soon.

He fell back to sleep and around 7am I quietly made my way downstairs. I was in no hurry to get to the race and went about my pre-race routine. Walked to the car and the weather was prefect. Rain clouds but no rain.

As I drove to Danville, the rain started to come down. No perfect race weather after all.

I ran into a few familiar faces(Doug, Sue & Laura) as I went to get my and my kids' shirts.

After dropping off the shirts to the car, I jogged up and down the street a few times then lined up near the startline with 5 minutes to go. No one else seemed to be lining up and I was looking for some visual cues that I should be back in the pack further. Dave Duffield came walking up along side the road and I said "Hello" but he wasn't very talkative. I thanked him for yet again sponsoring the race then the mayor of Danville said a few things followed by Rhody, and finally Mike Duffield yelled the countdown. "9 ,8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1" and the airhorn sounded.

I took off at a quick pace and my body complained, and complained... I looked at my Garmin to see what I already knew. My pace was too hot, 7min/mile. I couldn't maintain that for 6.2 and I didn't want to run positive splits. When I was training seriously I could but not today. I tried to reign it in and slowdown without losing my confidence as people passed me. I thought, "Run my own race" then I thought "What about my ego?" and then "I'll see how I feel at the 3 Mile mark"... I really do talk to myself this much during the race.

I managed the steady climb to the freeway overpass approaching Mile 2 and noticed which people did no hill work. Decided to keep the momentum on the downside for Mile 3. By Mile 4 we were heading back on Iron Horse Trail and I began to make my way trailing guys until I could reel them in and focus on the next person. I only passed 6 people that way but at least it kept me moving at a faster pace for negative splits. Mile 5 & 6 were tough but I was familiar with the course so I knew I had one more street crossing and then the freeway underpass and the finish line. I pushed hard to the timing strips, quickly stopped my watch and had the faintest idea of puking but decided against it. :-)

I thanked a few guys that I chased but never caught for a good race and headed to the sponsor tents. I ran into Scott after the race as I collected post-race goodies. Guess his fiance ran the 5K. Tried to see my results but the 10K sheets weren't out yet, only the 5K. I grabbed a few things for myself and the kids then went to the car. I decided to put something over the seat versus stripping down naked in the parking lot to change into dry clothes. I did change my shirt but my shoes and shorts were soaking wet.

When I stopped off at the donut shop the patrons gave me a strange look but I was really just too tired to care much about that. Kids got their breakfast and I got my hot shower.

The End.

Business: 10K Race. 6.2 miles in 44:28 @ an average 7:10 min/mile pace.
Mile  1: 7:04.19 (0:07:04.19), 171bpm
Mile  2: 7:39.65 (0:14:43.84), 182bpm
Mile  3: 7:13.58 (0:21:57.42), 182bpm
Mile  4: 7:19.70 (0:29:17.70), 183bpm
Mile  5: 6:50.64 (0:36:07.76), 184bpm
Mile  6: 6:45.56 (0:43:02.32), 185bpm
Mile  6.2: 1:25.87 (0:44:28.19), 174bpm

2min Recovery: 184bpm -> 138bpm
AvgHR:  181
PeakHR: 191
MinHR:   97
TotCal: 923



Overall Male Open Winners:
PlaceNameCityBib NoAgeAge GroupTimePaceTime Behind First
47Chris RumbleDublin,CA844358/33 M 35-3944:287:10/M10:48


End-of-Week Summary:



Gut-check:
chocolate donut, orange juice, milk, alot of water, In-n-Out double-double protein style, french fries, 1 small chicken burrito, more water.

Run. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

=RUMBLE
155lbs.

No comments: