Friday, June 3, 2011

Week 10

Week was busy with some work-related issues but was able to log some mileage on Friday before the race on Sunday. Weather was crap all week. Rain on Wednesday and started again on Friday until the early morning on Sunday. Luckily no rain during the race but plenty of mud. I wore my old Asics so I'd have a clean pair for Spirit Run 10K in two weeks.

Race details: I got there an hour early. I got into my gear and headed to the registration booth. Used the facilities and back to the car to drop off the event t-shirt. On the way to the start line I spotted a few FMRC runners and hoped they'd be running the 10K so as to give me a chance to place in my age group for the 5K. I ran into Ariel who was doing his second race. We talked and gathered near the start. Since there were no timing chips, we worked our way closer to the start line. There was a moment of silence for the two fallen San Francisco firefighters, some words of thanks to the organizer of the event and sponsors and then a 10 second countdown to the gun. I really sprinted hard for some reason as we ran under the starting arch. Maybe the thought of all those other runners behind me had me spooked. I caught up to Patrick who I use to run with long ago. He was running with FMRC and I knew he ran pretty fast so I said a quick "Hi" before dropping back into something closer to my own pace. We dodged some large puddles before heading from the parking lot, across a foot bridge and up a steep climb to the vineyard. My quads weren't happy but my breathing seemed well-controlled. We passed the Mile 1 marker and my watch read "6:12". Way too fast and I kind of knew it as I started to feel winded. Before I knew it we were at the turnabout and I saw the front runners coming back toward us. I wasn't to far behind the pack at this point but I knew I wouldn't be able to hold the pace much longer. I waved to Ariel on my way back and turned south toward a slight incline and left turn back toward the start. I realized I'd have to do the short but steep hill again before returning to the parking lot and final stretch to the finish. It was mighty painful and my pace slowed considerably but I didn't stop. On the downhill, I only focused on not falling down and let gravity involuntarily increase my speed. Across the foot bridge and onto the gravel I was passed by another runner. I tried to reel him in but didn't have much left in my legs. I crossed the finishline but in the commotion to give my bib tag forgot to stop my watch. The volunteers were also telling us to go to the tent to get our reward for being the top 20 finishers. (Later I'd find out I was technically the 22nd). We got some concert tickets and a dry-wick running shirt (I got a size for my son). I didn't stick around for the festivities as I doubted I had placed in my age group. When the results were finally posted a few days later, I discovered I actually got 3rd in my age group. Overall, it was a great run and I'll probably do the 10K next year.

Mon May 30 Rest
Tue May 31 3.11 20:43, avg 6:42min/mile
Speed 3.11 6:47, 6:38, 6:37, :41
Wed Jun 1 Rest
Thu Jun 2 Rest
Fri Jun 3 5.11 35:46, avg 7:00min/mile
Warmup 2.00 7:37, 7:27
Speed 3.11 6:47, 6:39, 6:35, :41
Sat Jun 4 Rest
Sun Jun 5 Hook & Ladder 5K 3.11 20:23, avg 6:37min/mile
Speed 3.11 6:12, 6:26, 6:57(ouch!), :48
Official Results

Weekly Total 11.33

Run. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.
=RUMBLE

No comments: