Although I was at work since 7:15am, I didn't wake up with the energy to do the long run. I sat at my desk contemplating the time, going solo for 14+ miles, and all the things I'd rather do (like eat breakfast!).
Since nothing was going to change by thinking about it, I went to the gym at 8:30am (yes it took that long!), popped a Gu, and heading for Iron Horse Trail (IHT).
I took off pretty quick but still felt like a slug. My body whined and complained, "oh my glutes bother me", "you shouldn't have worn the Brooks", "what's that pain in my ankles?", but I just kept moving, counting the miles. I tried to keep a consistent pace but failed miserably. Subconsciously I sped up when I'd see other runners on the trail. I didn't stop my watch for traffic lights (and I didn't stop for many traffic lights).
Just past BART I ran into one of our developers on the path and I wondered, "what is this guy doing hold his bag on his shoulder in front of his face??" only to see it was Ravi once he lowered it. I guess he dropped his car off at a mechanic nearby. Quick "hello, what are you doing?" "out for a run?" "dropped my car off" etc. and I was off again slugging it out.
At about Mile 5 I finally got into a rhythm which quickly ended at Mile 6 when I stopped for water. As I headed back onto IHT from the bus depot, it took a few yards before I felt refreshed and ready to speed up toward Crow Canyon.
After I reversed direction and headed back, I noticed it was easier and wondered if the trail had any elevation to it. Sure enough when I got back and checked the elevation map, it gradually climbs 148 feet from Mile 2 to 7 which can help once you've reversed course and have a modest descent.
At Mile 11 I was getting hungry and IHT stretched out for miles before me. I flashed back to Kaiser SF Half Marathon and that exhausted feeling of being close but still too far to feel the pull of the finishline. As I approached Mile 12 my knees made a request to stop and stretch but it was quickly overridden by the stronger feeling that my empty-hole-of-a-stomach seemed to implode a bit further in search of food. I started thinking about the food I had stashed in my locker and pushed on.
I was happy and disappointed I came in under 2 hours because although I was pretty damn fast, I didn't hold a training pace and now my legs(and nips) were sore. I proceeded to drink a gallon of water and stretched out. I devoured the banana and orange I had and hit the showers.
Business: Out & back route to Crow Canyon using Iron Horse Trail for 14.5 miles in 1:45.37 @ an average 7:17min/mile pace.
Splits are as follows:
Mile 1: 6:50.90 (0:06:50.90)
Mile 2: 7:11.03 (0:14:01.93)
Mile 3: 7:12.91 (0:21:14.84)
Mile 4: 7:01.31 (0:28:16.15)
Mile 5: 7:30.66 (0:35:46.81)
Mile 6: 7:37.03 (0:43:23.84)
Mile 7: 7:28.27 (0:50:52.11)
Mile 8: 7:27.70 (0:58:19.81)
Mile 9: 7:28.32 (1:05:48.03)
Mile 10: 7:20.35 (1:13:08.38)
Mile 11: 7:15.25 (1:20:23.63)
Mile 12: 7:12.71 (1:27:36.34)
Mile 13: 7:18.81 (1:34:55.15)
Mile 14: 7:09.65 (1:42:04.80)
Mile 14.5: 3:33.10 (1:45:37.90)
Gut-check
Breakfast: 1 Gu, banana, orange, water.
Lunch: Chicken sandwich, salad w/ bleu cheese, 2 8oz. Dr.Peppers
Dinner: 2 bowls of cereal, 2% milk, water.
Run. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.
=RUMBLE
Friday, May 23, 2008
Friday Slug Fest
Labels:
outdoor nature run
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment