Thursday, June 19, 2008

Oracle 5K

I didn't do anything yesterday but eat, swim and entertain the kids.

Today, it was once again hot. Not scorching heat but running-energy-sucking stuff.

This morning, I had to decide whether I was going to run the Oracle 5K Fun Run.

Based on last year's experience, I knew this run was anything but fun. The path runs along a marsh that stinks like seaweed and heat doesn't help. You don't smell it all the time but even a few breaths is enough to spoil your running mojo.

At the last possible moment, I made a call and decided to go. I knew if I hit any traffic at all, I wouldn't make it. I arrived at HQ 20 minutes before the 12 noon start of the race.

I was familiar with the check-in process so I breezed through the packet pick-up and to my locker to change from Oracle employee#63132 to fierce competitor bib#1289 sporting my iPod, Garmin, shades, & hat.

I ran into 2nd Wind team mate Leiping Yu warming up on the treadmill in the gym. Once I stepped outside I briefly spoke with Alan Fletcher also warming up on the trail outside.

In short order, we lined up in front, waited for a quick course summary and the "On your marks, Get set, & GO!" set us off. beep! beep! went the stopwatches and Road Runners as they quickly moved ahead of the pack. I counted guys & 1 gal ahead of me for a solid 10th place spot. I stayed close to Alan for the first mile then chased and passed the only front-running woman at a mile and a half.

A few more passes and some soul-searching in the heat led me to some serious doubts but I kept pushing. I locked in on an african-american guy and swore I would not slow down, not let this guy out of my site, and I would not let anyone catch me.

My body disagreed with that plan and told me in various, creative ways that I should slow down. Right from the start, my dry, disgusting mouth stuck to itself as I breathed. Later, my quads started to turn to jelly at the turn-around point and my feet were hot as we moved from the path onto the street.

I felt I was slowing down as I approached the final half mile but knew I'd pull some sickening effort from my gut (and puke later) if I saw anyone approaching me. When I looked back, I only saw Alan at a 10 second distance but couldn't be sure if there was someone closer more directly behind me. Better push on.

I got to the final stretch and megaphone man was saying "Come on, final push" and I feared now that maybe he was talking to me and someone else within view. Luckily, no such threat but a good time across the mat. New personal record of 19:42.

Business: 3.1 miles @ avg. 6:20 min/mile in 19:42. Unofficial splits.
Mile 1 in  6:05 @ 6:05min/mile.
Mile 2 in 12:35 @ 6:30min/mile.
Mile 3 in 18:59 @ 6:24min/mile.
Mile 3.1 in 19:42 @ 6:30min/mile.

Gut-check
Breakfast: Odwalla protein shake, water.
Lunch: Banana, 1/2 an orange, juice, Odwalla protein shake, water.
Dinner: , water.

=RUMBLE

No comments: