Monday, December 3, 2007

Starting Lines...

Welcome to the first entry of my running blog.

I just finished my first marathon, the 2007 California International Marathon and decided this would be a good place to capture the experience. I also plan to use this space as my running logbook and my connection to the running world.

To start, here is a quick history of the runner in me:

I picked up running a few years ago after over a decade of doing almost no cardio and only weight training. Before that "college" and subsequent "post-college" break, I ran track in high school but my performance was not noteworthy.

One morning in 2003, I laced up some very old Nike Pegasus and set my mind to run the San Francisco Bay to Breakers 12K. I had a good experience (01:04'50"00) and just kept running as part of my routine since.

I ran almost exclusively on the treadmill at ClubOne located at my work facility. I was still split 50/50 on weights and running with some volleyball and yoga on occassion.

I would sign up for short races for the next year until I got ambitious for a half marathon around Lake Tahoe in 2004. From that 2 hour half marathon experience in the same very old Nike Pegasus shoes, all I can say is at least my legs didn't fall off and if it didn't kill me it must've made me stronger, right? No, I was ill for 2 weeks afterward and maybe just a little more wise.

I happily settled back in the 5K, 10K and 12K races. It made sense because my training was not predictable and I did not accumulate any real training mileage.

I'll revisit my sporadic running years with more "background" entries during my downtime over the Christmas holidays.

On to the next post!

=RUMBLE

No comments: