Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday Shamrock'd the 5K

I ran the Shamrock Dublin 5K this morning. My goal time was 20:00 or a 6:20+min/mile and I nailed it an official 19:57 (although my watch showed 19:52).

Here's a recap.

With the race just down the street from my house, I didn't have quite the same race day pressures. The 2nd Wind running team was suppose to meet at the registration desk around 7:30am so when I woke up at 6:30am, I decided to go back to sleep. I woke up at 7:00am, grabbed my running clothes off the nightstand, tucked them into my bed to warm them up and went back to sleep. 7:15am I got dressed, washed my face, brushed my teeth and drove down to the event.

After digging through my gym bag for my sunglasses and a Gu, I jumped out of the car and into the cold. I picked up my timing chip and pinned my bib to my shirt.

I ran into a couple of 2nd Wind runners and did a warm-up jog, stretched, and then a few short sprints. We lined up at the start line and before anyone knew anything there was a horn and everyone started running.

I kept the fastest member of our team, Sergio, in my sights for longer than I expected and then realized I was going out way too hot. My breathing was very heavy but I didn't want to back off my current pace too much. As I slowed at the Mile 1 marker, another team runner, Patrick, passed me. He's run low 6min/miles so I knew if I could keep up with him I'd make my goal time of a 20min 5K.

As we rounded the York/Penn "U" and got back on Amador Valley, my legs started to get fatigued. I started to doubt myself and my pace. I looked up and saw the dogpark and hill. Such a small hill now looked like a monster. I got in gear and attacked it as my heart-rate and breathing became uncomfortable. I luckily spotted the vomit on the sidewalk just in time to avoid it. Obviously someone else had alot more difficulty with the hill. I just focused on the corresponding downhill and catching Patrick.

I guess I was too focused as I didn't see or hear my friend from work, Joseph, as he snapped these photos of me before I turned onto Alamo Creek trail.



As I crossed the basketball courts, I spotted Patrick making the turn on Iron Horse Trail and head back toward the library. I knew I wouldn't catch him with just over a mile to go but I wouldn't stop trying either.

Just before the Dublin Blvd. underpass and with a quarter mile to go, some young kid I passed earlier just zips by me. He crossed the finish line first but once I crossed and handed over my timing chip, I see the same kid puking his brains out. I guess that's what it takes some times. My watch clocked a 19:52 and several people say the course was longer than 3.1 miles (including my Garmin) but the official time didn't come in shorter but +5 seconds longer with a 19:57 finish time.

I finally caught Patrick and Sergio and we talked for a while. I met up with Joseph and his TNT coach, Al. I grabbed a slice of pizza and went to Starbucks for a mocha frappucino to reward my effort.

The End.

Business: 3.1 miles @ avg. 6:25min/mile in 19:57.
Mile 1 in 5:44 @ 5:44min/mile.
Mile 2 in 12:30 @ 6:45min/mile.
Mile 3 in 19:15 @ 6:45min/mile.
Mile 3.1 in 19:57 @ 6:21min/mile.

City of Dublin 10th Annual Shamrock 5K Fun Run and Walk
March 16, 2008

PlaceNameCityBib NoAgeAge GroupTimePace
41Christopher RumbleDublin CA2363412 M 30-3919:57.06:25/M

Gut-check
Breakfast: Lots of water, a vanilla Gu, 2 bananas, 1 slice of pizza, grape juice.
Lunch: 2 slices of pizza, orange, water.
Dinner: 2 hot dogs w/ cheese, water, carrots, a bowl of oat cereal, 2% milk.

R.U.N.?

=RUMBLE

No comments: