Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday Long Trail Run

This morning, I joined Chris for his long run. Most of my running team left for the Boston Marathon so I'm not sure how much running, if any, I'll be doing this weekend.

I decided to try putting my old SuperFeet inserts into my Brooks Trance 7's. Lately it's been feeling like I dont have enough support from either of my shoes and this may be the source of my calf and shin issues. I also ordered a pair of new Saucony Progrid 10's last night.

Chris was running late for our 8am start so I stretched. He showed up and we left around 8:30am. I had an idea of where we'd run but I kind of made it up as we went. We headed out from the gym and the arch in my right foot started to adapt to having some arch support. At first it was tight and I was afraid I'd made a big mistake but I focused on rolling my foot as I pushed through my stride and it loosened up nicely. Toward the end of the run my left knee started to signal pain but I know what that's about. It hasn't happened for a long time but I know it required some extra stretching of my left hamstring to make that pain go away.

We cruised along various paths and avoided most streets with this route. The path along Del Valle is always tricky as there are rocks and parts of it have been washed out. The pace was 8:20 for much of the start but then I noticed the time relative to my AM meeting and told Chris we'd have to pick up the pace. We rolled in after an hour and 38 minutes of running for 12.5 miles.

I didn't get a chance to stretch as I hit the showers and ran to my meeting but returned to the gym later in the day and did the "needful". I also found that necessity is the mother of invention as I forgot my iceblocks to soothe my shins/calves and improvised with some sodas from the vending machine.


Business: 12.5 miles in 1:38:07.47 @ an average 7:51min/mile pace.
Splits are as follows(totals are off for now):
Mile 1: 8:16 (0:08:16) - Where should we go?
Mile 2: 8:18 (0:16:41) - SuperFeet inserts buggin'
Mile 3: 8:19 (0:24:32) - Will my arch snap?
Mile 4: 8:15 (0:32:33) - Hmm, no more pain and an easy stride. Water & Gu stop.
Mile 5: 8:18 (0:38:20) - Head down Mohr.
Mile 6: 8:20 (0:46:18) - Will I remember the trails ahead?
Mile 7: 8:42 (0:54:36) - Easy..
Mile 8: 7:55 (1:02:27) - Onward to Centennial Trail.
Mile 9: 7:57 (1:10:32) - Running out of time.
Mile 10: 8:00 (1:15:27) - Pick up the pace.
Mile 11: 7:50 (1:23:47) - Cruise through the park to Stoneridge.
Mile 12: 7:50 (1:31:27) - Stoneridge to Hacienda.
Mile 12.5: 7:42 (1:38:07) - DONE.

Gut-check
Breakfast: 1 Gu, a granola bar, water.
Lunch: A very plain chicken sandwich, fries, large salad, water.
Dinner:

Run. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

=RUMBLE

No comments: